Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Paid to shop

Holiday shopping pretty much gives me hives, so I find it just a tad ironic that I am often asked to put together gift guides for various local publications. My editor provides a shopping category, and my job is to find gifts that fall into that category. I drive around town, visit shops, talk to the managers/store owners and eventually come up with a selection of 12 perfect gifts. The idea is to make the daunting task of holiday shopping a little easier for those who pick up the gift guide.

Actually, though, I really love this task. It is way different than my own holiday shopping. I don't have to spend my money and, because I do this shopping way in advance of the holiday season, I don't have to fight crowds or listen to Silver Bells over the loudspeaker in every store.

No comments: