Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To tree or not to tree

I have a dilemma. Should Carl and I get a Christmas tree this year? A nice tree will set us back at least $30. At least. And if you've read my previous posts, you know that we are trying to cut back this year (read: we have to cut back this year). Then again, Christmas trees look so pretty and smell so nice. I love sitting in my living room with a book and cup of tea (or wine, or hot cocoa, or even water) and the tree and the lights and the stockings and all that.

If we skip the tree, it won't be the first year we've done this. For a while we put up a fake tree from Target, but we sold it when we moved into our current home in May 2005. I'm pretty sure we celebrated Christmas sans tree that year (and the holiday was just as happy).

Anyway, I'm just not sure what to do. Should I invest in a tree or not? If I do, I want to put it up right after Thanksgiving so I can enjoy it for the entire month of December! But that involves crawling up to the high shelves in the garage and getting down the ornaments in, like, 10 days. I just don't know.

6 comments:

Jaime said...

I think you know what I am going to say but I will say it anyway.

Definitely get a tree!! I do understand the needing to cut back and save, really I do. But I can't imagine Christmas without a tree in my living room.

Of course it is up to you though.

Loraena Tuttle said...

I always get a tree, even if we're traveling. I just can't imagine not having one! Although some years we have gotten really little bitty ones. =) We will probably be going smaller again this year too.

pam said...

I'm going to be in the minority here and say you don't absolutely have to have a tree. Though they are nice. But, in a pinch, you can put a few lights on a houseplant or around a door frame.

Sheryl's Blog said...

Invest in a good fake tree. Saves money in the long run, and you can get tree sented ornaments. Money well spent.

Renee said...

I agree with "Sheryl's Blog"! If you invest in a nice artificial tree (and most now come with the lights on them--one thing I cannot stand doing--putting lights on a tree) you will save money down the road AND you can invest in fun ornaments. If you like the smell, buy a little tiny fir tree--you can get them at any grocery store in the floral department. Real trees tend to be messy, are fire hazards and you throw out the tree when you're done (I don't agree with real trees since I think they should remain in the ground and not be used in this way--but that's another topic) so that $30 isn't the best money spent. Get a tree! Your house will look so festive!! :-)

Blonde Momma said...

I don't know...I say tree, but if it was just Geoff and I maybe we could go without it. Now that the kids are here though, it's a must.